I love to make overnight oats for busy days. Preparing oats the night before helps me to relax knowing I will have a delicious breakfast waiting for me the next morning!
- 2 g (1 tsp) culinary grade matcha; sifted (use less for a lighter flavor)
- 50 g (½ cup) rolled oats
- 10 g (1 tbsp) pine nuts (optional)
- 1 g (¼ tsp) to 2 g (½ tsp) chia seeds (optional)
- a pinch of sea salt
- 180 ml (⅔ cup) unsweetened milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 7 g (1 tsp) maple syrup or honey
- a 10 oz or larger glass container with lid
- spoon for stirring
- food scale (optional)
- fresh or dried fruit
- more maple syrup or honey (to taste)
- Add all ingredients together in a glass container, and stir well.
- Close the lid tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Once ready, give a good stir, add your favorite toppings (optional), and enjoy!
Yields: 1 serving
I’d recommend adding the dry ingredients first (in any order you like), then the wet ingredients—milk, then maple syrup. This sequence has helped me to have more evenly mixed overnight oats.
I used Oatly Original Oat Milk for this recipe.
You can either add toppings along with the rest of the ingredients, or right before you eat the overnight oats in the morning. I prefer to add some seasonal fruit in the morning so it stays fresh instead of soggy. When the weather is cold, you can also warm overnight oats for 10-15 seconds in the microwave. If that’s the case, then add the toppings after the oats are warmed.
Chia seeds belong to the mint family. If you have known allergies to mint, sesame, or mustard seeds, then omit this ingredient.
Here are some of my favorite ingredients and equipment used for this recipe:
This recipe was originally published in September 2017, I’ve updated it with new photos and information.
Leave a comment below if you have any questions or feedback. If you liked this recipe, please share it with friends. 💚
Thank you and be well,
This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something through my links, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I truly love.